The Citizen’s Police Academy was established to promote an understanding of the South Bend Police Department and its policies and procedures. In addition, the academy provides training in all aspects of law enforcement and the issues that face police officers on a daily basis.
Our goal is to foster a spirit of cooperation between the city, its citizens and their police department. It is hoped that graduates will get to know more about the men and women who are protecting their community and why they make the decisions they do while performing their duty.
The Citizen’s Police Academy is an 8 week program between August 8th and September 26th. Classes are held on Tuesday nights from 6pm-8:30pm. Class size is limited to 40 participants, and is free of charge. Some of the general topics discussed are:
- Hands on demonstrations from K-9, SWAT and the Bomb Disposal Unit
- Crime Scene Processing • Shoot, Don’t Shoot simulation
- Narcotics Enforcement
- Patrol Operations
Potential candidates for the Citizens Police Academy must meet the following criteria:
- Minimum age of 18 years old
- No prior felony convictions (Certain Misd. offenses may disqualify you also)
- Subject to criminal history check