When should I call 911?

Call 911 when there is an emergency. For example, when lives are in danger due to a serious injury, serious medical condition, crime in progress, or for any other situation needing immediate attention from public safety officials.

 If you have a noise complaint, suspect drug activity, or have any other non-emergency situation, call the Non-Emergency Line at (574) 235-9201.

What should I do if I see a crime occurring?

  • Make sure that you are safe.

  • Call 911 immediately

  • Be observant and make mental notes, if it is safe to do so. For example:

    • What is the address of the incident?

    • How many people are involved?

    • Physical characteristics of individuals such as height, weight, race, sex, hairstyle, clothing, or scars

    • Are there any weapons involved?

    • Are the persons involved on foot or in a vehicle? If there is a vehicle, make note of color, make, model, license plate, or other identifying features

What happens after a crime is reported?

Cases requiring investigation in order to document the facts go to our Investigative Division. You can learn more about the process here.

How late are you open?

Office hours are Open M-F: 7AM to 11PM, Sat and Sun: 9AM to 5PM

How do I file a protective order?

To file a protective order, go to the basement of the Courthouse at 101 S Main Street in South Bend, or you can call them at
(574) 235-9795.

What time is curfew for teens?

Children under 15 years of age should not be in a public place after 11:00 pm or before 5:00 am unless they are accompanied by an adult. 

Teenagers ages 15, 16, and 17 should not be in a public place:

  • Between 1:00 a.m. and 5:00 a.m. on Saturday or Sunday;
  • After 11:00 p.m. on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday;
  • Before 5:00 a.m. on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday

For  exceptions and penalties please see the City's municipal code.

My garage was broken into and someone stole my tools. How do I make a report?

Call the non-emergency number, (574) 235-9201 and an officer will be sent to the location of the garage.

The police officers took my belongings when I was arrested. How do I get them back?

You will need to come to the South Bend Police Department and fill out a request for items or a request for currency form.  An officer will review your case and decide if the items are still needed for evidence or if they can be released.  You will be contacted either way.

When is the South Bend Police Department's auction?

The police department no longer holds a yearly auction.  Instead you can go to http://propertyroom.com/ 365 days of the year for items that were abandoned or disseminated.

Why was I billed for a false alarm?

The police department allows a business 3 false alarms a year without charge, giving the business time to either fix issues or for an accidental trip of an alarm. On the 4th false alarm of the year, however, there is a charge of $100 and any false alarm after that in the same year is $200. Payment may be made in cash or by a business check payable to the South Bend Police Department. The phone number for false alarm billing is (574) 235-7535.
View the False Alarm Ordinance.

How do I become a police officer?

You must pass a medical exam, psychological exam, physical agility exam, background, and character investigation. On the day you are hired you must be a United States Citizen, at least 21-years-old, have a high school diploma or GED, have a valid drivers license without restrictions, not have been convicted of a felony and be a resident of Indiana.
Click here for more information about the application process, requirements and benefits.

I own or manage a retail business. Do you have any advice for preventing or responding to shoplifting?

We have created a retail theft guide that you can download here. If you need to report a shoplifting incident, the form is available here.