The South Bend Police Department would like to remind parents, trick-or-treaters, drivers and community members that Monday, October 31st from 5pm to 7pm is the official Trick-or Treat hours for South Bend. Please follow these safety tips to make our community a SAFE place to celebrate Halloween.
• Welcome trick-or-treaters with your porch lights and exterior lights on.
• Keep pets away from costumed children so as to not startle the family dog that may not recognize children in costume.
• Report any suspicious or criminal activity to the South Bend Police Department immediately.
• Exercise extreme caution when driving a vehicle.
• Be on the alert for excited children (whose vision may be obscured by masks) darting out into traffic.
• Remind your children to never trick-or-treat alone.
• Set a time limit for your children to trick-or-treat, and designate a specific route for them to take. An adult should accompany any younger children.
• Costumes should be easily seen if out after dark and they should not restrict their vision.
• Trick-or-treaters should carry a flashlight or a glow stick if out after dark to help keep them visible for motorists.
• Trick-or-treaters should cross only at street corners, never between parked cars, and always look in all directions before crossing the street. Children may need to remove their masks to help them see before crossing the street.
• Do not go inside anyone’s home – wait on the porch at all times.